Race Rules & Regulations
The following qualification standards are applicable to the Bali Ultra Trail 2023:
- For the 100km category: completion of a trail race minimum of 50km or road race of 42km between 1 January 2019 and 31 December 2022. You must have finished within the final cut-off time for that event.
- For the 50km category: completion of a trail race minimum of 21km between 1 January 2019 and 31 December 2022. You must have finished within the final cut off time for that event.
- For the 25km and 10km categories: no qualification is required, but you must consider the nature of the terrain and weather.
- Your result must be for completion of that event. You will need to submit a web link to your result online (on the official race website) when you register.
- Race management reserve the right to reject any result deemed not meeting those criteria.
- You need to provide a medical certificate to enter this event. Please download the medical certidicate here: ENG or IND
- When completed, please scan or take a clear photo of the medical certificate, and upload it on the website at the latest by 15 July 2023. Please keep the original physical copy or the electronic copy and hand it to us during race pack collection.
- Age Limit (for categories 100K/50/25K): This race is open to anyone 18 years or above as at the date of the event. If a competitor is below 18 years of age on race day, parental consent is required. This must be signed off for on the Waiver and Release Agreement at the time of race pack collection.
All runners will need to complete runner check-in on Friday 18 August 2022 (09.00-21.00) in the race village, Kintamani.
- Bring your ID to check-in and compulsory gear
- If the compulsory gear is required, we will check this gear at registration. Please be prepared to bring the gear and have it ready to be inspected.
- There are no drop bags for the 50/25/10Km categories. Drop bags is available only for 100Km categories. You must use drop-bag labels if you wish to use drop bags. Please leave your drop bags in the registration area before runner check-in closes.
- You cannot change or modify your distance race. If you must change or modify your distance race, please do it before payment.
- Runner Emergency Contact: we will check the phone number of your emergency contact at race registration. This must be a contact who can be reached on race day.
- If you do not check-in before 21.00 on Friday 18 August 2022, you will not get to start the race. Please inform the committee of late check-in (after 21.00).
- Your race number must be worn visibly and facing forward. Do not bend your race number.
- You must complete the marked course on foot under your own power. Shortcuts are not permitted. Please always stay on the marked course. If you get lost return to the last sighted marking or checkpoint. Please contact Race Director in any emergency situation.
- You must check in at each water station (WS) or checkpoint (CP) with the checkpoint officials to get scanned/registered. Failure to do so will mean you will not have been registered as completing the race course and you risk disqualification or not being ranked.
- You may use trekking poles.
- Cut-off times are imposed at some of the water stations of checkpoint (*see information in the tables of detailed course information under course maps and profile). You must leave the water station no later than the cut-off time to remain ranked on the race course. The cut-off time is counted in hours from the race start.
- Course sweepers are following behind the last runner and removing the markers. If you are towards the back of the race, make sure you do not step off the course and let the sweepers overtake you as the markers will then be removed and you may not be able to follow the course.
- Always walk on the right side with traffic coming towards you on roads unless advised by the course marshals.
- If you need first aid help on the course you must use the emergency phone numbers provided for the race (printed on your race bib) to contact event organizers who will arrange to retrieve you if required.
- No Littering! All litter must be carried to the next water station where it can be disposed of. Please bring a zip lock bag for your trash. Runners caught disposing of rubbish on the race course will be penalized heavily or disqualified in severe cases.
- No outside support is allowed along the race course. Support crews are not permitted to run with or pace runners or follow runners with any motorized vehicle.
- Any tampering with course marking or other actions that are deemed against a fair and sporting spirit is unacceptable and will result in disqualification or heavy time penalties.
- Please bring some amount of money to purchase food and drinks from local shops.
- Withdrawal from the race can only take part at water stations. You must clearly inform the race officials of your intent, and your race number will be removed.
- You must always carry the compulsory gear during the event. Random gear checks will be performed during the event. Any participant with missing mandatory gear may be penalized with a time penalty and in severe cases, disqualified and stopped from proceeding on the race course (*please refer to list of penalties in compulsory equipment list).
- The Race Director reserves the right to delay the start time, bring forward the start time, modify the race course if necessary be it to extend the distance or reduce the distances and/or modify the cut-off times if safety becomes an issue. The Race Director also reserves the right to cancel the event if necessary and to postpone or move the event date to a later date.
Terms and Conditions
- All runners are responsible for ensuring they are medically fit to participate in this event.
- Runners accept that the route is challenging and at times designed for runners who are conditioned and trained for such an event. Please train hard.
- Runners understand that medical response to emergencies may be slow due to the nature of the event.
- Runners agree that the organizers and sponsors will in no way be held responsible for any loss of, or damage to property as a result of participation in the event.
- Runners understand and accept the race organization reserves the right to alter the date or cancel the event in case of severe safety issues beyond the control of the organizers.
- The organization reserves the right to withdraw the privilege of running in this race if an individual is found to be acting against the spirit of the race.
- Runners understand and accept the organizers reserve the right to make changes to the published race course as deemed necessary at any time.
- Runners understand that runners are prohibited from swapping, selling, or transferring race slots/race entries/race bibs to another person without the express permission of the organizing team.
- No refunds are payable for runners of this event who withdraw, do not show up for registrations or do not turn up to compete in the event.
- Complaints and disputes: We invite you to file complaints with us via our email address at email@example.com
Bali Ultra Trail in line with the standard practice of international races will adopt a strict policy with no exceptions to the compulsory gear. We will carry out both spot checks on the course and all top finishers in each category will undergo a full check at the finish line. We sincerely hope that all runners will take the regulations seriously.
The following compulsory equipment must be always carried during the race:
- Race pack (vest). A bag to carry compulsory equipment
- Mobile phone. The number provided to organizers during registration. Must be able to make and receive calls. (Advised to get a prepaid local number with a data plan. If using a number that is different from your registration, please inform the organizer)
- Emergency Blanket (recommended for 25/10Km)
- Hydration bladders/bottles with a minimum capacity of 1.2 liters (minimum 0.6 liters for 10K). Please filled-up before the start, and be refilled at the water station.
- Whistle (recommended for 25Km)
- Personal cup for drink
- Rain jacket or waterproof jacket with hood (recommended for 25/10km)
- Basic first aid kit, and personal medicines (recommended for 10km)
- Headlamps with functional battery + spare battery (recommended for 25km)
- Personal food (energy gels, bars, etc)
Below is a list of additional items for consideration (recommended items)
- Trekking poles
- Spare headlamps (recommended for 100/50km)
- Shoes with a good grip
- Gaiters for sand terrain
- Long sleeves
- Protective tight
- Anti-chafing cream
- Smart sport watch (loaded with course track)
- Money (small change for drinks/snacks)
- Life, accident or travel insurance
We do not provide drinking cups at water stations, in order to reduce waste. Runners must bring their own drinking cups or bottle that they can use at water stations for the selection of drinks.
We recommend you also carry water between water stations. Optionally (but recommended) you should carry any gels or another form of calories with you between water stations.
Do not drop rubbish on the trails. Rubbish bins are provided at all water stations. Anyone caught deliberately littering may be penalized heavily or disqualified in severe cases and banned from future events. If you will generate waste on the run, please use a small zip lock bag for your trash and carry it with you.
Only follow the yellow/orange ribbons in the trees, path, or road. There should be no other markings. Any turns should be obviously marked with these yellow/orange ribbons. The wrong way will be indicated with a hazard or warning tape and a yellow strip sign with a black cross. Blinking ribbons or spots will help to mark the open space of black lava.
- Any runner who is unable to finish the run must personally inform the nearest water station or event staff of their decision to withdraw and make sure their race number is recorded. If you cannot find a staff person, please ring the number on the back of your race bib. We will use radios to try and contact your crew and it is essential your emergency contact person can be reached.
- If you do not have a supporter or crew, we will do our best to transport you to where you need to go. We do our best to lift back asap to event race village.
- If you are able to move on your own, please make your way to the closest water station (either return to the water station you just left or go to the next water station). If you are unable to move without assistance, please tell the staff and follow their instructions. It will take time to get help to you if you are out on the race course
Temperatures in the morning time in Kintamani are around 15-20 degrees and will warm up quickly. Temperatures at black lava and surroundings in open spaces including the Mount Batur area at day time can exceed 25 degrees. We will inform you of the latest local weather information before the race day.
Transfers, Cancellation and Refunds
- Payments are non-refundable.
- No refunds are offered for cancellations or postponements of the event due to factors outside and beyond the control of the organizers.
- Runners may request a bib swap or transfer before the closure of normal registrations with an admin fee charge of IDR 200.000.
- Change of category is not possible after the close of entries.
Ambulance cover, and income protection insurance before participating in the event to cover any unforeseen personal costs you may incur due to ambulance trips, medical expenses, or time off work due to injuries sustained whilst participating in the event. International participants should take out travel insurance that provides cover for ultra-trail running events.
It is very challenging to deliver events and travel during the pandemic. Even though the pandemic is slowing, we want to make sure our participants will have the option if some things don’t go to plan.
IF YOU CAN’T ATTEND THE EVENT DUE TO BORDER RESTRICTIONS
If state/local or international border closures prevent you from attending the event, you will be given a limited time opportunity to defer your entry to the following year.
We will review international border restrictions approximately 30 business days out from the event date, and state border/local restrictions 7 business days out from the event date.
If you are impacted (based on the home address you entered with), you won’t need to do anything. We will contact you directly by email and provide you with more information.
IF THE EVENT IS RESCHEDULED
If the event does not take place on 18-19 August 2023 for reasons relating to the Covid-19 pandemic, where possible, we will reschedule the event for a later date.
If this happens, you won’t need to do anything. Your event registration and any additional purchases will be automatically moved to the new event date.
If you can’t make the rescheduled event date, you will be given an opportunity to defer your entry to the following year.
IF THE EVENT CAN’T BE RESCHEDULED
If the event cannot be rescheduled, we will let you know as soon as we can.
If this happens, you won’t need to do anything. Your event registration and any additional purchases will be automatically moved to the same event in 2024.
The race organizer also reserves the right to cancel, modify or cut-off the trail race for the following reasons:
- Natural disasters (or declared warnings issued by the BMKG-Badan Meteorologi dan Klimatologi dan Gempa and UNESCO Batur Global Batur Geopark or similar agency). In such a case, the race course cannot be changed to continue the race, nor will the race be postponed to a later date.
- The inability to ensure runners safety due to in the event of an earthquake, hurricane/typhoon, flood, landslides, incidents, accidents, epidemics and/or pandemics. The race organizer reserves the right to make judgments and decisions regarding the shortening/cancelling of the race.
- The decision as to whether or not the race will be cancelled will be made on the day before the race or on the day of the race. This will be communicated via the official race website and official social media.
- Runner who wins the podium is a registered runner and not a substitute runner.
- Runners are responsible for the personal data entered during registration. If there is inaccurate information (not entering the result link according to qualifications), the organizer has the right to cancel the podium.
- Runners must provide confirmation for prize collection within 1x24 hours.
- Prize collection cannot be represented if there is no prior confirmation with the organizer by the specified time limit.
Finisher's certificates will be available for download from the website. They will be available approximately one week after the event once official results are finalized.